Sailing around New Zealand

Emily is sailing solo around New Zealand on her 32 foot yacht Honey, from Lyttelton south down the east coast, around the bottom of Stewart Island, up the west coast of the South and North Islands and down the east coast back to Lyttelton. The whole adventure is expected to take 3 months. This blog will provide updates as I travel (when I have mobile reception to upload).

Tuesday, 19 February 2013

Beautiful Bradshaw Sound (15-16 February)

It was another late start, we were in no rush with it being another wet although not quite so wet day. We tied up to the Blanket Bay wharf and filled up with water and burnt our rubbish in the furnace there, and then headed down towards Bradshaw Sound. Bradshaw Sound is part of the Doubtful complex and there is no ban on fishing for blue cod, so we were eager to catch a feed for dinner. It was windy, so we pulled into a little bay out of the wind and tried our luck – nothing of any interest but we pulled up some fish that would make good bait. We sailed on down to the end of Bradshaw Sound and alongside Macdonell Island, and found a spot that we thought would be good for cod. Tim picked up three good sized cod and I got a decent sized one, that was heaps for a feed with a lot left over. We also caught some teriki, which made a nice starter before the cod main. We moored that evening alongside a fixed line on Macdonell Island in Precipice Cove – this was an absolutely stunning spot, very sheltered (which does mean quite a few sandflies).

The next morning was fine and beautifully calm, with the waters glassy. We headed out from the mooring and fished in the same spot as the day before. This time Tim picked up another good sized cod, and I got a very large one, the biggest we had seen. My rod and reel had packed up so I had to pull it in by hand. Now we had a heap of fish, and after we had filleted these two plus the ones we had got the day before and hadn't eaten, there was enough fish to completely fill a 2L container – Tim was heading back to Lyttelton with a lot of fish to eat! We motored up to the head of Gaer Arm and dropped anchor for lunch – another beautiful spot which we had all to ourselves, and finally the sun started to peak out. We didn't feel we had time for an explore up the Camelot River, but that was something I could do with Dad. After lunch we motored back out of Bradshaw Sound, then picked up enough wind for a nice sail back up Doubtful Sound to Deep Cove. Deep Cove meant the opportunity for a hot shower at the hostel, always great after a few days without one, and after our soak we headed up to say hello to Billy. There was a French family visiting, sailors who had come down from Nelson a few days earlier and were tied up on the other side of Deep Cove. They had previously sailed out from French Polynesia, and we were again invited for dinner. It was fish – Jock Stewarts crumbed and fried, very yummy, and fresh veges. And for the second time in just over a week we left Billy's place with way too much food in our stomachs!

No comments:

Post a Comment