Honey

Honey

Sailing around New Zealand

Emily is sailing solo around New Zealand on her 32 foot yacht Honey, from Lyttelton south down the east coast, around the bottom of Stewart Island, up the west coast of the South and North Islands and down the east coast back to Lyttelton. The whole adventure is expected to take 3 months. This blog will provide updates as I travel (when I have mobile reception to upload).


Saturday 9 February 2013

Dramatic Landscapes – Port Pegasus (25 January)


A reasonably early start this morning from Half Moon Bay, away at 6am, and with the north east behind me it was a good fast run down to Pegasus at the bottom of Stewart Island – at 1.30pm I was pulling in the sails outside of Whale Passage, the northern most entry into Pegasus. It is a beautiful coastline, and when I entered Pegasus it was even better – absolutely dramatic mountain ranges looming up behind the bush and the sea – amazing! I do feel so lucky to be able to see this part of the world which most people never get to visit. I stopped in a lovely little spot called Waterlily Bay for lunch and then headed through Pegasus Passage to the Southern Arm passing some kayakers on the way – stunning scenary. Then coming into the Southern Arm it got better still – crazy rock formations making up the mountain ranges in these parts – I'm looking forward to hopefully having a chance to explore some of them tomorrow! Then into Disappointment Cove where I have dropped anchor for the night, which is nothing like what its name suggests, although I must say I felt a wee bit disappointed that Tim was not down here. The original plan was to try to make it this far by his 40th.

No comments:

Post a Comment